Sunday, June 6, 2010

A Window Option To Consider

THIS POST IS FROM ROOM REMIX - THE BLOG .

Coastal Living photo: John O’Hagen

When we built our home one of my main concerns was that I have enough windows and that they be as large as possible while keeping in scale with the space. Unfortunately, there were some spaces that windows absolutely weren't an option (like our kitchen :-( ), but if it was possible I put one in.

When it came to our master bedroom, there were only two walls in the room where windows were an option. One was a no-brainer, but the other was the wall that our headboard would be against and was also a little more visible to the neighbors. So I compromised with the windows shown below for that wall and I absolutely LOVE them!

Putting these smaller windows above our bed (the bottom of the window trim is approx 5'10" from the floor) gave me a look I love, the privacy I wanted and the light and peek into the outdoors that I craved. The center window is stationary but we put awning windows on either side so that they could be opened. Did I mention yet that I love them? :-)

In this room, it looks like they've used all awning windows.

Country Living photo: Steven Randazzo

As you can see here, you don't necessarily need an outside wall to put windows above the bed!

Country Living photo: Don Freeman

Just as in the previous photo, they've used the windows on an interior wall but in a family room instead of the bedroom. It's a great way to open up the space and bring light in from the adjoining room if a window to the outside isn't an option.

bhg.com

Obviously, this isn't one of those quick-fix decorating tips but if you're considering a little remodeling of your space or you're building a new home this is definitely an option to consider.

If you're not building or remodeling and you wanted to do a DIY project to mimic this look, could you mirror some window frames? It wouldn't bring the outside light in, but would still expand your space and reflect light from any other sources in the room.

Hope you're having a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment