Monday, December 13, 2010

Caring For, Cleaning and Restoring Silver - Reader Question

THIS POST IS FROM ROOM REMIX - THE BLOG .

BHG.com

This is a comment/reader question that was left on the Decorating With Silver Trays post: "I have a slight addiction to silver trays. For some reason I always find ones that I MUST have when I go to the thrift stores!!  I'm curious though if anyone has any ideas on how to make one shine again? I bought a beautifully shaped tray, but the inside of it looks like all of the silver has worn away. :( Any Ideas? I would love to keep it metal and not paint it if I can."
House Beautiful  Photo Reed Davis
Not being any sort of an expert on silver, at all,  I did a little research to see who might be.  I'm sure this post doesn't cover all of the possible sources and information, but it's a summary of what I found.  I hope it will be helpful to Leslie, who asked the question, and to anyone else who is trying to care for, clean or restore any of their silver pieces or silverware.   
Veranda Photo John Grover
How to Care For Silver:
1.  Prevent tarnish by storing silver in acid-free tissue paper or unbleached cotton muslin (found at fabric stores) inside a resealable bag. (source: Real Simple)
2.  Care for Silver (House Beautiful)
3.  Silver Care (Society of American Silversmiths) 

BHG.com
To shine your silver:
Option 1:  Use a silver polish and a clean dry cloth.  myhomeideas.com gives you the full scoop. 
Option 2:  A more in-depth method from realsimple.com to remove tarnish and polish your silver using household products.

Southern Accents
Replating silver:
1.  How to Tell If Something Is Silver and Not Silver Plate.
2.  What is Silverplate?
3.  How to Replate Worn Silverplate.
4.  How to Repair Silverplate.

Southern Accents has a good article on how to make the most of your silver...

Have an awesome day and don't forget to enter the $220 CSN Stores Shopping Spree Giveaway!


Have you checked out my FACEBOOK PAGE?

No comments:

Post a Comment