Monday, November 16, 2009

Accessorizing Your Walls - Crunching Some Numbers

myhomeideas.com

In all of the homes I’ve visited in my life, very seldom have I seen art that’s hung too low, but I’ve seen a lot that’s too high. I’m tall, so eye level for me is a smidge over 67”, and I’ve seen a fair amount of art hung above my eye level by a ways. So I'm sure you can guess what the next tip is...

#2: Don't hang your art too high - In general, if you put the center of your art, mirror or grouping somewhere around 60" high it should work out pretty well. Some of you have probably heard advice to hang it at eye level, but since that is quite variable, around 60" is a good average height. If the art is in a room where you're seated most of the time, that number can be fudged down even more.

myhomeideas.com

When you're hanging art above furniture, you want it to relate to what is below so approximately 6" or so above the furniture is a good rule of thumb.
Southern Living Photo Charles Walton IV

#3: Art or groupings that aren't wide enough may end up looking a little lost on the wall. If you're looking for a guideline that you can use for width above furniture, shooting for at least 2/3 - 3/4 of the furniture width will work. This can vary above buffets, etc. where lamps and accessories fill in the gaps.

Country Living Michael Luppino

These guidelines should help you avoid art that's just floating in the room as if it doesn't belong, and a space that feels slightly disjointed.

If your space is feeling a little out of sorts, maybe the solution is as simple as moving your wall art/mirror/grouping down a little? If you try it and it works for you, I would love to hear about it!

EDIT: Hooking up to Julia's HOOKED ON HOUSES link party - check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment