Thursday, November 12, 2009

Reed Wall, Wax Art, and an Unexpected Art Grouping


My friend, Natalie, is the (very talented) accessory buyer for the Schneiderman's furniture stores and the merchandiser for their Plymouth store. I've been there when she's swapping out and setting up new furniture vignettes and it's an amazing thing to watch! She's very quick and they always end up looking great.

So anyhoo... I was there yesterday looking for a couple of small pieces for a project I'm working on (and found exactly what I was looking for!). There were a few things that caught my eye as I shopped and I thought I would share them with you.

Natalie wanted to add some texture to the bedroom vignette that you see at the beginning of this post, so she purchased some reed fencing at Home Depot and just nailed it with very small nails to the wall. She nailed it at the top and then added some sporadically just to hold it in place. I thought it was such a clever idea! The cost to do this vignette was $50 ($25 per roll).

If you try this, she wanted you to be aware that there will be some rough edges that will show (see photo below) so you have to be okay with that.

This next thing I absolutely love! I'm sure you've heard of Vance Kitira candles. The photo below is of some of their new artwork. The interesting thing is that the different elements you see in each frame are actually set in WAX. Is that cool or what? (in case you're wondering what the little white blocks are underneath each one is - they're price tags, not part of the art.)


I was across the store when I saw this little vignette. Thinking it was some kind of painted metal art (and what a great example it would have been for the wall art post that I did the other day), I decided to go closer and get a photo. Once there, I just started laughing when I realized that it wasn't art at all, but the wood samples from the table company whose tables were displayed close by that she had creatively displayed! Once again proving that you can create a dramatic statement by grouping items that may not be that impressive on their own!


I'm linking my Mudroom/Laundry Room Bench post to The DIY Showoff surprise party today...


Hope you're having an AWESOME day!

No comments:

Post a Comment