Sunday, November 15, 2009

Accessorizing Your Walls - Work With the Shape of the Space


As I was working on this, I realized that one post could turn out to be very long and possibly a little overwhelming so I decided to break it up. Tuesday's post will NOT be about accessorizing your walls but, other than that, I'll do as many posts in a row as I need to say what I want to say about the topic. I guess some would call that a series :-)...

You've also probably seen all kinds of room photos from designers that have not followed some of these guidelines (I've probably shown some of them on this blog), but we're not going to go there. What I'm sharing with you are very basic in-the-box principles that aren't new, but some that I've learned and used successfully that will help you to get it right without guesswork, or necessarily having to have an "eye" for design or art placement.

#1 - Follow and work within the general shape of the space you're accessorizing.

For example, I typically view the space above a sofa as a large rectangle. With that in mind, these first two don't work...
(the first one may seem extreme, but I've seen it many times - random art placement - we'll cover this in another post in this "series")


While these two definitely do...


So before you accessorize your wall, analyze the shape of the space first... What is it? A square? Rectangle? Triangle? Once you've analyzed the space there are a bajillion (not a word, but I like it) ideas for what you can put IN the space and how you can arrange it and still be within the basic framework, but defining it is step one.

Since my examples don't really have much of a pretty factor, I thought I would end with this bedroom by Phoebe Howard which also demonstrates art fitting, not fighting, the space.

No comments:

Post a Comment