Tuesday, November 17, 2009

The Caramel Post - Rolls, Decorating and DIY

DIY Magazine holders w/textured wallpaper at BHG.com

Remember that I said we would be taking a break from Accessorizing Your Walls today (see the first two posts here and here). No big reason really except this...

Thanksgiving always has me thinking about caramel rolls. :-) My husband's whole family comes from out of town for a 4-day weekend. One of our traditions is homemade caramel rolls for breakfast, so I thought I would share the recipe for Kimba's DIY Day. It is seriously the smoothest, yummiest caramel ever (I think it's the ice cream)! As long as I'm sharing, thought I would also share some random creative decorating ideas from some caramel colored inspiration I found (remember the Chocolate Post? I know. I'm weird :-) )

A little holiday inspiration. Simple but pretty...
Coastal Living Photo Brian Vanden Brink

Adding mirrors like this is a great way to expand a space, add drama and bring additional light into the room (just not sure I would want to look at myself all day :-) ).

Coastal Living Photo Jean Allsopp

You know how much I love headboard ideas! This one was a DIY project made from plywood.
Better Homes and Gardens

Thought it was interesting the way they put this low headboard in the window alcove and mounted lamps on it (the wire runs to outlets behind it).
Coastal Living Photo Tria Giovan

Like the mix of textures and the detail on this pillow...

Better Homes and Gardens

Carmel apple cider anyone?

Baking Bites

Clever to tuck a built-in desk in this recess and mount the TV above it so that you're able to hide both when not in use.


If you like the sliding door idea, have you seen the way Amy at Whisperwood Cottage, used barn style doors for the entry to her master bath and closet? Love this...

Easy (& Delicious) Caramel Roll Recipe

This is the caramel roll recipe that I originally got from my mother-in-law and make all of the time. It's a crowd pleaser... Hopefully you can understand this - I just took it out of my recipe book the way I wrote it down originally :-)

Thaw 3 loaves frozen bread dough according to package directions. Roll out each loaf (about the size of a rolling pin). Spread margarine, brown sugar and cinnamon (no measurements here) on each and roll up. Cut each loaf into 10 rolls and place into 9x13 pan (typically should be able to fit about 15 rolls per pan) and let them rise until pan is full (2 1/2 to 3 hours).

Caramel:
1 1/2 cups margarine
1 1/2 cups ice cream
1 1/2 cups brown sugar

Mix these ingredients in pan on stove and let them come to the boiling point BUT DO NOT BOIL.

Pour caramel over rolls. Bake at 350 for 20-25. Let cool. I usually roll out foil on the counter and make a little "foil pan" and tip them over on that to cool. Otherwise, once they're totally cool they can be harder to get out of the pan.

Edited 11/23/09 to add to Gina's recipe party:

No comments:

Post a Comment