Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Accessorizing Your Walls - Scale

BHG.com
Explaining scale is difficult for me because, like so much of accessorizing, it's a visual thing for me. My eye tells me if something is right or not, and I've been told (more than once) that I'm pickier than most about it. To avoid imposing my personal opinions on you and making you paranoid (and because I can't really explain it) I'll keep my comments brief. I will say that it seems like many people tend to go too small rather than too large. We'll get more into some of that in the next post.

BHG.com Photo Veronica Toney

The summary of what I was taught about scale? "An object is in scale when it's size is harmonious with the size of the objects and space around it". I'm sure you find that extremely (not) helpful. :-)

BHG.com

In the photo below there were different options that could have been used (for example: this art would not have to be this big and could have been something horizontal, versus vertical) but this works well to make a dramatic statement/focal point in this room. I really hesitate to say this because the idea could really be misused, but I would rather see people go too large in their artwork than too small.
Country Living Photo Laura Moss

As far as measurements you can use, the advice I gave here should help some, but a guideline I've heard for filling a large blank wall without furniture is 2/3 the width.

In the next post we'll talk about NOT randomly accessorizing your walls.

Opinions, experience, advice on today's post?

Have an awesome day!

No comments:

Post a Comment